Queensland Writers Centre and Bundaberg Writers Club will be hosting a two day workshop covering the A-Z of Writing Popular Fiction.
These interactive workshops suit beginners and emerging authors, or experienced writers who feel they need to refine their technique.
Venue: BWC Meeting Rooms, 80A Woongarra Street, Bundaberg Central.
On Saturday, May 18
10.30am – 4.30pm
Learn how to pace your novel so that a reader won’t want to put it down.
Develop and improve your writing skill-set through practical exercises and group discussion.
- Create compelling hooks and story questions
- understand the different pacing required in different genres
- understand pacing needs to vary within a novel
- learn how to slow or speed the pace of your story
- recognise the boring bits, and have the courage to leave them out
- learn how to ratchet up the tension in each page
- understand how structure affects pacing
On Sunday, May 19
10.00am – 4.00pm
Everything you need to know about writing commercial fiction, in a nutshell
Explore key areas using practical exercises.
- how to generate ideas and turn those ideas into a workable premise
- investigate voice, and how voice relates to genre
- Understand conflict, and how it generates plot
- What is ‘classic story structure’?
- Learn to develop a framework for your story
- Learn about character arcs and how to show character growth and change.
- Understand the commercial fiction market and pathways to publication